Thursday, January 27, 2011

(Re)Finishing the Floors: Part 5

Betcha thought we were done after part 4, huh? So did we. And then we started to get nervous about the floors. We got our first knick. Then our second. All the salt from the snow started getting tracked in. We needed to do something to protect the floors while we continued to work on the rest of the house.

We consulted our personal interior decorator, Uncle Greg. You don't know Uncle Greg? Meet Uncle Greg (and Bill's mom-mom):


Uncle Greg said COVER THOSE FLOORS!! (duh) So we picked up some floor paper at home depot and got to work.

We cleaned the floors completely; swept, vacuumed, swiffered (with our non-swiffer, awesome hardwood floor cleaner my mom suggested we pick up at Sam's):


The non-Swiffer is about twice the width of a regular Swiffer and has two machine washable pads.

Then we got to work on laying and taping the paper:

 
We got the kitchen and living room covered. Then I foolishly offered to take on the stairs. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Here I am, optimistic about my job:

I got about this far:

...Until I decided it wasn't working. I mean, it was working but it was totally going to come undone the first time someone walked on it. I had visions of skipping down the steps and wiping out on loose paper and ending up looking like this guy:


So I changed methods and ended up with fully covered stairs:


It may not be pretty, but it's still holding strong. And with that, I hope to not post about the floors again until it's time to pull up the paper and move in!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

when will you learn to stop offering to work on stairs?!?!