Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Let's start decorating!

I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I started to get an itch to buy pretty things from places other than Home Depot. Being on a serious budget has severely cut down on my shopping for anything other than tile, paint and Smart Ones (a girl's gotta eat). With paint on the walls and ugly blue carpets on the upstairs floors, I decided to satisfy the spending itch by purchasing duvet covers to get an idea of where these rooms were going.

side note: I'm purposefully not posting anything about our BRAND NEW APPLIANCES until they are completely installed. The microwave did not come in with everything else, but we should have it by Saturday.

Anywho, Bill and I registered for (and received) a beautiful duvet that's mostly white with a green border mixed in. (Bill has issues with "girly" bedspreads) However, with the lovely blue carpets upstairs, that just wasn't going to work....


I started by looking for duvet's with a coordinating blue theme... and then remembered I hate the color blue. It's just so lame. Then, I thought about something neutral, like browns and off-whites, but just couldn't picture it with the blue carpets. Then a light bulb went off. How about silver? Bill would probably think silver was manly enough, and maybe- just maybe I could find something pretty. I did:

www.overstock.com
I can finally picture a room I like with blue carpet! The best news?! Bill likes it, floral pattern and all! Then it was on to the guest bedroom. As a reminder, we painted the bedroom walls a steel blue color...


As an avid home renovation/decorating blog reader (I <3 YHL) it's hard to miss everyone talking about www.westelm.com. I decided to check it out and found a duvet I absolutely love:


www.westelm.com
And the best part? It was on sale! We all know how much I love a good bargain (read: won't buy anything unless it's heavily discounted). At 20% off, I decided it was perfect and placed my order! And surprisingly, Bill likes all those flowers! I'm thinking it's the beachy feel of them that won him over..

It's so exciting to start to have an idea of where these rooms are going! There's only so much painting and tiling I can handle! I can't wait to be able to start really decorating these rooms!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the duvets you picked!!! Macy's is having a huge sale right now on bedroom stuff (in case you need any more). Anyway! Love it! When are you having a house warming party?? I know I am Lauren's friend but I wanna see this place! LoL, and besides, if you make a registry, I would totally buy you something off of it. Bribery, right??
~Ang

Shana said...

haha of course you'll be invited!

Unknown said...

i would love to redo my bedroom...i would love to redo most of my house...don't tell joe, he tolls his eyes every time i start talking about redecorating