Friday, January 21, 2011

Color Splash Brigantine

Yeah that's right, I just made an HGTV pun. I'm that lame.

When it came to paint color selection, I was a little nervous. You see, I came from a house with Barbie pink kitchen walls (though that only lasted a few years) and a bedroom that I was allowed to paint anyway I chose. For example, during high school I chose to sponge paint my walls two shades of blue with neon green molding. Bill, however, came from a house with all white/beige walls. I've always assumed I'd have to fight for some color...

I was wrong :)

Bill and I both wanted to paint the living room, kitchen, hallway and staircase the same color. We also immediately agreed we'd rather paint the walls beige incorporate color in the way we decorate. We went with Benjamin Moore paint like the cabinets.

A clean palette:



The woodwork will all be painted the same color as the walls.

When it came to choosing the bedroom colors, I was excited that Bill was game for adding a little color. We decided for the bedrooms we'd use Behr paint from Home Depot to save a little money. We chose a steel blue called "flint smoke" for the front bedroom downstairs that we're planning on using as a guestroom:



In the back bedroom downstairs, what we'll use as an office, we chose a green color called "false cypress."




We plan on painting the trim in the downstairs bedrooms white... that is, once we install molding! We also chose the paint for the upstairs bedrooms, aka the master suite. We had more of a challenge with this one- let me remind you of the flooring upstairs:


The blue carpet upstairs threw a wrench into all of our color plans. We went back and forth on colors and finally settled on a nice shade of barely-there silver called "Irish Mist." I don't have any pictures to share yet- Bill is at the house right now putting the first coat on the walls... (We all know how useful I am on Friday nights).

It may not seem like a lot of color, but it's exactly what we were both picturing! We especially like how the blue and green pop next to the dark walnut floors.

Up next: We shampoo carpets!! Wooohoo... it's as wild as it sounds!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ok...i feel like a terrible sister because angela has commented on like every blog! i promise to comment more...